Do What You Love
July 17, 2012 § Leave a comment
What makes you happy? I’ve been asking myself that question a lot lately. Sometimes I get so busy with life that even when I’m doing what makes me happy, I’ve somehow lost track of that feeling and what once made me smile just becomes… stuff. It’s time to get back to me. So, periodically, I’m going to try to let you in on some of what makes me who I am and what I love to do.
Anyone who knows me, knows that I love food. When I am not barraging my Facebook and twitter friends with food porn, I’m either in the kitchen, at a local restaurant or spending hours pouring through the latest editions of “Bon Appetit”and “Food and Wine” that I’ve practically been stalking the mailman for. I love talking, reading and learning about all-things food.
Here are a few of my favorite things about it:
- As cheesy (pun intended) as it may sound, I am filled with pure joy when I go to a farmers market. There’s something about the vibe I feel when I’m walking up and down the rows of local vendors who take pride in creating something they love and sharing it with their community.
- Making my grocery list. This may seem like a chore to some, but for me it’s an insight into the new meals I’ll be learning to make.
- Finding new recipes is my source of entertainment. I scour magazines and foodie blogs in search of dishes I want to try. There are so many out there that I want to try. So many, in fact, that I’ve accumulated 590 links saved to my Delicious account (perhaps an intervention is needed?). With this many recipes at hand and more being saved on a fairly regular basis, inevitably at least 75% (if not more) of the meals I make are new to me. I hardly ever repeat a recipe, but there are a few that are so good that I keep coming back for more!
- Going out to eat. Sometimes I just don’t feel like cooking. Special occasions, I’m tired, busy or downright lazy — whatever the reason, there are always great places to go where someone else will do the cooking for me.
- I love to talk about the food I’ve eaten. I especially enjoy talking up a restaurant and/or a particular dish I’ve tried that I just know whoever I’m talking to will love as much as I did if they go. When I talk about food I get so excited that I’m like a giddy school girl who just made the cheer squad and can’t wait to tell her best friend all about it (minus the short skirt and curly ponytail). I get carried away sometimes and have to control my salivating (no one likes a drool-er) as I launch into full detail-mode and explain the ins and outs of a dish.
What’s not to love about food? It is life-sustaining, oh-so-delicious and never gets boring. See you in the kitchen!
(Photo credit: me)